CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, July 21, 2008

Grandma


I'm heading off to Virginia to see my family. My grandmother passed away this weekend. She was the last of the grandparents and it seems like the end of an era since we (my immediate family and I) have been driving up to Virginia to see them for 22 years.

The memories I have of this particular grandmother are many. In fact, some of my very first memories are of her. It's hard not to think about that as I try so hard to not be sad since she was 91 years old and is perfectly healed now but I sure do miss her already.
Thankfully, she was a believer. She read her Bible every day, always prayed over every meal and with her children and grandchildren. But most importantly she was a teacher of the Word. She practiced what she preached. She taught us to love one another when we were younger and always seemed to be in some kind of tiff. She taught us to forgive each other when we felt like we were wronged. She was always ready to talk when we called and would ask one more question when we told her we had to say goodbye. When we packed up our car to head home after a visit, she cried and hugged us tight, making sure we knew that we had a place to stay and could stay as long as we wanted.
But what I remember the most was a time when my heart was broken. I had the advice and consolation of friends and family but all there well-meaning words didn't seem to comfort my soul. When I called my grandma and told her my woes she simply said...God's in control. He wouldn't let anything happen to you or your heart that wasn't meant for your good. Just trust in Him...
So simple. And it was exactly what I needed. The simple truth. Trust in Him. Isn't that the solution to so many of our problems.
That's how my grandmother was. Simple in all she did. She wasn't simple-minded by any means but what I mean is that she was a country girl and she rolled with the punches. There was no "reading into" anything in the Word...either you trust God or you don't. Same with us when we stayed at her house. Either you lied or you didn't. Either you abide by her rules or you go home. Very simple. But the funny thing is, now that I look back, her rules weren't all that rigid and easy to follow. She was such a dear woman and the impact that she made on my life will never be forgotten.

I guess I'm rambling on and on about a lady you've never met. But she was so precious to me and I can't wait until I see her again on the other side and we can praise our Saviour together.
Family is such a blessing, isn't it?


4 comments:

Stacey said...

Rising up to call her blessed...what a testimony of a life lived on purpose for the Savior! I'm praying for your comfort today. Even though she was 91 years old, that does not take away the sadness of being separated from such a dear person with whom you have made a lifetime of memories. It is so good that you can look forward to seeing her again!

A. Gant said...

Thinking of you! You and the family will be in my prayers. May the Lord fill your heart with peace and comfort. 2 Corinthians 1:3-7. Love you!

jennyhope said...

psalm 116
15 Precious in the sight of the LORD
is the death of his saints.

I am so sorry for your loss even though you know she is in heaven I know your heart breaks. I am praying for you and your family. You are such a precious godly woman yourself. I could always know that about you at your job and through your countenance. I meant to leave you a comment earlier.
love Jenny

Susy-Q said...

Thank you all for the sweet comments. I guess I have a special place in my heart for my granny.

And thank you for the prayers...