CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Life

Do you ever feel like life is too complicated? I'm struggling with this issue of living in the world but not like the world. It's not as easy as it sounds. I work at an OBGYN office and though we're a Christian office there are a lot of patients that aren't. Surprisingly, I hear all kinds of language, crudeness and stories that would make you blush and yet I have to be professional. How can I filter through the bad and pick out what needs to be addressed? These women aren't coming to us for a sermon but for health care. At what point do I say..enough!
Drinking adult beverages in public. Does a stranger assume that because I am holding a beer or a glass of wine in my hand that I'm a sot? I don't have a problem with drinking in moderation but if I drink in public am I giving off a different impression?
How about secular music. There are so many songs out that are encouraging, uplifting, even spiritual sounding but if the artist is an atheist or a womanizer hooked on drugs and alcohol am I endorsing them by enjoying and buying their music?


Disclaimer:*I randomly chose three topics. I am not picking on one issue over another nor am I thinking about anyone in particular when I write about these things*


These are all tough questions and I have to be careful to not be a legalist when I address these issues in my heart. I want to be a light in this dark world. I want others to see me and see that there's something different about me, something peaceful. I want to be out and about enjoying good music, enjoying a glass of wine, working at my job but show forth Christ in my life. I speak out but sometimes I wonder if I speak out enough. Am I living my life differently than the world?

As I'm out in the world I really need to pray that God would show me wisdom in each situation. That He would use me to pull out the good and throw away the bad in everything I do. I want to love my patients and be bold in saying that I don't want to hear the unnecessary. I want to be able to enjoy that adult beverage while showing moderation. I want to love the beautiful song and speak up against the writer/artist who does not acknowledge his Creator.



I just don't know how to do that. Any thoughts? Any suggestions?


And then I wonder if it's possible to please everybody. I'm sure there are some who would be offended that I listen to the radio. And some would never drink in public but wouldn't mind it in the privacy of their own home. Some wouldn't listen to the patient because of her foul mouth and never get to the root of her problem. I don't want to be this person. Instead of being worried about what people are thinking, I want to be worried about what God thinks of me. Yet I have a reputation to uphold and others are watching. People watch more than you think.

Am I all over the place with these thoughts? Are they making sense to anybody?


I just need to pray that God would guide me, show me what I'm supposed to say, when I supposed to say it. I pray for conviction when I'm wrong and discernment to pick through the filth of this world and pull out what was meant for good. I pray for understanding for those are around me and boldness to speak up for truth. I pray for wisdom.



Does anybody else struggle with these things?

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I think you are speaking for many followers of Christ on this issue, Q.

This is a huge struggle. I agree with you that it is something that we have to seek wisdom on each day. When I get bogged down I say, "Okay, what is the most elementary thing I am supposed to do, and then how can I build from there?"

1. Love God.
2. Love others.
3. Be holy.
I must press in to Him, relying on Him to do that in me therefore...
4. Pray without ceasing - asking for wisdom.
5. Be faithful to what he has called me to be, in addition to whom He has called me to be.
6. Share the Gospel.
7. Trust Him with the results.

Oh, yeah - and receive with thanksgiving those things He has blessed me with such as a beautiful song, good wine or that person in my path with whom I may comfort. And also to feel free to remove myself from a situation as much as possible, that is grieving my conscience (such as TMI from someone less discretion!).

I know that you deeply desire to honor God in all these ways and I am thankful to be your friend. You encourage me.

Susy-Q said...

You are so kind, Stacey. Thank you for your thoughts, the encouragement, the friendship. It does help to know that I am not the only one struggling with these things.