CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sovereignty in Sickness and Sadness

As our office comes up on the one year mark of when Dr Perry found out about his cancer, I can feel myself getting overwhelmed with sadness...because I miss him.


I was listening to a song that he liked to listen to in surgery earlier this week. It talked about getting to heaven first, waiting on the far side banks of Jordan. Kind of a bluegrass/gospel song by the Carter family. Really sweet song but sad as it reminds me of someone who's already in heaven that I miss a lot. Needless to say, I cried.
So when I got to work I was REALLY missing him and wishing he was here to talk to, pray with.



God has a way of giving me just what I need at just the right time. I sit down at work, tears still on my face, to check my emails and the short devotional that I get by email every morning messed up my pity party. God is just what I need, when I need. He's the One that comforts in sadness. He heals affliction, pain, sickness. He helps bear the cross. He is all I could ever want.

Wow. Talk about conviction as I want so desperately to see Dr Perry one more time because he was such a rock in my life, to realize that there is only One Rock. One who is greater than I. One who is greater than Dr Perry. One who can give me everything that my heart was desiring.


I had to share that with my coworkers during our devotional because I know that we're all suffering with the same type of broken heart. And then a new conviction hits me!


Someone shares a John Piper story of the sovereignty of God with the landing of the plane in the Hudson all the way to the inauguration of a new president with seemingly dark motives. If God is sovereign in the lining up of geese to fly into the two engines of plane, to the perfect belly landing in a cold Hudson River, to placing a pro-choice president over a nation, could he not be sovereign in healing the emotionally broken heart and healing the physically broken body of a sad, hurting girl? My woes seem kind of mild in comparison, don't you think. Yet He still cares. He still orchestrates all that goes on in my life.



It never ceases to amaze me as I look back and see how God works in my life.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

I'm so glad you found your comfort in The Comforter. No one else can do it like He can, but I often only realize that after I have "looked for love in all the wrong places".

God's sovereignty is a fact that brings me comfort a lot of times; but then, there are times when I struggle with "You are in control of all things, God, so WHY do You allow this?"

And then He is faithful to bring me back to comfort and peace in His sovereignty even after I have cried, kicked and begged.

Hugs to you, sista Q.

Susy-Q said...

And then this morning...ANOTHER devotional that is just what I need.

"There is a blessing in true human sympathy.
God sends our friends to us, to bring us little
measures of His own love--little cupfuls of His
grace. But He Himself is the only true comforter.
His love alone--is great enough to fill our heart,
and His hand alone--has skill to bind up our
wounds."

I'm starting to see a trend here. Run to God FIRST.