CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 9, 2008

Laugher and Prayer

Kids make me laugh. Period. All weekend I've been around my nieces and nephews and they have made me smile, chuckle, giggle and laugh hard more than any time before. I'm not sure what was different about this weekend except that I've been a little stressed and sad lately so maybe laughing is exactly what I need. As I think back on the past few days I still laugh out loud at the memories of sweet kiddos being locked in a bathroom stall, eating candy off a public floor, the 2 year old taking money out of my wallet and giving it to the Dairy Queen cashier, saying "chee" (cheese....she loves cheese) or the wooden sword that was made with red paint on the end to make it look like blood (only a boy would think of that).

And then there's the baby that now claps. (He holds one tiny hand still and hits it with the other hand.) Who grins at you whenever you look his way. Who has a different colored spot in his eye just like his aunt. How can a child make a sad heart a little more glad?

I was reminded this weekend that God delights in me despite my wayward heart. How can I stray from a God Who loves me so? How can I be so selfish and He be so merciful?

I heard this morning a sermon that showed me I am quite like Peter in that I have a "weapon" (his was a sword...mine are my words or my ways) that I quickly use simply because I have it, not waiting for the right time, the proper time. Weapons are not bad in and of themselves and are to be used with love. I don't always do that. I, like Peter, see an injustice or a situation that isn't going like I think it should and wield my weapon cutting another down in a way that cannot be repaired unless God intervenes. As my pastor said, we must pray ourselves up so that we don't overreact. Such sobering thoughts as I remember how I like to speak first and think later.

And it's time to start back a new week which means back to work, back to stress. Maybe I ought to pray.

3 comments:

Stacey said...

Great sermon! I was thinking how different I would be if only I had not spent so much time reacting in my flesh. How sobering. But Peter's story also brings so much hope! Just like the soldier's ear that Jesus healed as good as new...He heals those whom I have wounded and reconciles me to Him. That point filled me with gladness.

Stacey said...

I am thankful for the old friends AND the not so old ones who, by the grace of God, love me! ;)

Thanks for being that kind of friend!

And yes, I had flashbacks of us laughing about the Kool-Aid mustache before she went to bed...

jennyhope said...

Susanna! This is Jenny Williams who is a patient where you work! I am cracking up because staceystace and I are bloggy friends. Anyway, I just wanted to say hey! I found your blog on Danielle's new blog.
I will have to link to you to pop in and see what is up. I have been praying for Dr. Perry so much!